Thursday, March 28, 2013

Unit III: Context-Rich Learning Environments

Reflection on Goal-Based Scenarios, Anchored Instruction, STAR Legacy, and MOST Multimedia models

Similarities & Differences 

 As I studied the 4 context-rich learning environments, I noticed that capturing student attention was a priority.  This was accomplished by utilizing the following components:
  
  1. A scenario was presented.  With GBS, AI, and STAR, the students were provided with some kind of background story, mission, or challenge.  The content is presented within the frame of the story.  Differentiating the story in addition to the tasks provides a more engaging learning environment. 
  2. Students were provided resources.  Similar to situated learning, students are given open-ended problems that need to be solved through higher-order thinking and/or group work. This is especially true with anchored instruction.  Resources are provided in a way that it connects to the story and scaffolds the learning process.
  3.  Multimedia enhances opportunities for storytelling.  Whether it's providing background knowledge (as in GBS) or activating it (as in AI and STAR), the use of multimedia within these learning environments is important to create a convincing, engaging context-rich story for students to learn in.  The MOST Learning theory lets students work with teachers to re-create scenes from stories with the help of Web 2.0 tools.  
A key difference between GBS, AI, and STAR is how background knowledge was  assessed.  AI and STAR models assess prior knowledge, whereas in the GBS model it is activated as students progress through the mission.  The STAR model also gives students "expert perspectives" to scaffold their thinking as they progress.

Reaction

Having only taught 4 years, I've noticed something about the curriculum I teach - more and more seems to be added to it and I struggle to relate what I teach to the real world.  I've seen frustration amongst teachers and parents alike.  How can I teach this?  How can my kids learn this?  How is this relevant?  It is crucial to maintain student engagement through context-rich lessons.  I agree with how content is presented in these models.  Choosing a task that is interesting to the student motivates them to proceed. 

As I was learning about these models, I tossed the terms "task" and "assignment" in my head.  Then, I thought of my own class.  When I give an assignment, usually it provides students an opportunity to practice skills through repetition, recalling, summarizing, or any of the lower-order thinking skills.  These are important, but student engagement is not as high as in student "tasks" or "projects."  When I assign these, students have a goal that they must work towards over a given period of time.  Generally, when I assign "tasks" to my students they are more engaged. Here, resources are generally necessary to be successful, as is working together with someone or at least seeking out assistance. 

Why am I doing this?  Why is this important?  What's the point of this?  I'm sure these are questions educators hear often.  If not, students certainly think it.  With context-rich learning environments, I can see students answering the question with, ".. to complete my mission, challenge, or goal." 

Relevance is important for learning.  I think educators, administrators, and districts need to ask a few questions as they develop curriculum.  Is this relevant in today's society?  How can I make this relevant to my students?  How will my students apply this to the real world?  I see the benefit of these four context-rich learning models because they provide relevance to the skills.

Can I Apply These Models in my Second-Grade Classroom?

My students are pretty tech-savvy.  We use the laptops all the time to blog, research, interact with web modules, and view multimedia.  I can see a hybrid-GBS or AI project being used in my classroom.  I don't think my students could successfully complete a full web-based learning module on their own without guidance.  What I'd do is present the background story or mission class.  Maybe it would connect with a book they are reading or some topic we are studying in science.  After introduced in class, students can get together in groups to discuss ideas for how to proceed.  Once students have had a chance to think about it, then I'd show students the web module with available resources, "expert" opinions from the teacher, and some finished examples. 

As I move towards a technology job in my school, I'd hope to use more of these context-rich learning environments with K-5 classes.  As topics are introduced in the traditional classroom, I can develop sites that students can access in the computer lab or at home.  By working with the teacher on these projects, I can better understand how to differentiate the modules.  I'd want to move away from the traditional "computer lab" time slot and instead allow students to work through these web modules while both me and the teacher support them as much as possible. 

Web Resources

Story creation can be a part of the "mission statement" in the learning modules but also as a way for students to show their understanding.

ToonDo - Create an interactive comic strip!

Xtranormal - A dynamic toolkit is provided to the user for creation of stories with numerous characters, settings, and voices.  Many resources are available for free.  Content can easily be embedded into other webpages.


2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I enjoyed reading about your thoughts on the unit III methods. I can see where for Elementary school teachers it would be more of a struggle to relate content to real world scenarios. The students are not even thinking about their future, but you have to try to relate it in some way. This is why I do not really like teaching freshman. As much as I try to make all assignments relative, they still struggle to make the connection. I guess that is why the key is motivation from the very beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the questions you pose throughout your blog. They are some of the same questions I often ponder when approaching something new to use with my students but I never really think about it. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete